About Me

My Photo
Scott
Atlanta, GA
Married to the best woman on the planet. Father of three lovely daughters. Worship leader, song writer and marriage blogger by calling. Passionate about exalting the name of Jesus through worship and strong marriages. Electrical Engineer by education and experience, currently a global product manager.
View my complete profile

Subscribe Here!

Subscribe by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow Request (protected)

Follow sbmeans on Twitter

Labels

Check Out My Marriage Blog

  • WE HAVE MOVED!! - *Journey to Surrender is now * *HeavenMadeMarriage.com* ------------------------------ Stay here if you want to search old content. Click on over if ...
    7 years ago


Monday, January 24, 2011

PostHeaderIcon Too Close to Home?

I was shown this video a few weeks ago and then came across it again on another worship blog.


YouTube link

Before you become offended, let me just say this was put out by a church.  In particular, Northpoint Church, a mega-church north of Atlanta (where I am from).  Is this a parody of their own hyper-produced Sunday mornings?  I don't really know. That's not really why I am sharing it. 

I think the video speaks to the lack of creativity and originality we can tend to fall into in planning our Sunday morning services.  How often do we try to put our church services into a neat little box?  I know I've been guilty of falling into familiar patterns when planning worship sets, despite my previous series on thoughtful song selection. 

As a worship leader, I long for the day when the power of the Holy Spirit is so tangibly present that we can't get through the worship set, a la 2 Chronicles 5:13-14, at the dedication of the temple:
Then the temple of the Lord was filled with a cloud, and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the temple of God.
I want to see spontaneous healing and radical repentance take place as we worship.  I want God to break us out of the little box we tend to put him in on Sunday mornings.  Can it happen?  I think so, if we let it.

Now, on the other end of the originality spectrum, also out of Northpoint Church, comes this:


YouTube link

So maybe they are able to break out of the box after all. But that isn't exactly what I meant.

How about you?  Which of these videos is closest to your own Sunday service in terms of it's conformance to a set, safe, predictable pattern?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

On Earth As in Heaven

Worship and Prayer are two sides of the same coin.

"The four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."
(Revelation 5:8 )

The Harp represents the songs of worship that go on in heaven around the throne of God; day and night it never stops.

The Bowls are full of the prayers of the saints, rising as incense before the throne of God.

It is the harp and the bowl together that give us a picture of the ongoing encounter with God that goes on in heaven.


Let it be on earth as it is in heaven.