About Me

My Photo
Scott
Atlanta, GA
Married to the best woman on the planet. Father of three lovely daughters. Worship leader, song writer and marriage blogger by calling. Passionate about exalting the name of Jesus through worship and strong marriages. Electrical Engineer by education and experience, currently a global product manager.
View my complete profile

Subscribe Here!

Subscribe by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow Request (protected)

Follow sbmeans on Twitter

Labels

Check Out My Marriage Blog

  • WE HAVE MOVED!! - *Journey to Surrender is now * *HeavenMadeMarriage.com* ------------------------------ Stay here if you want to search old content. Click on over if ...
    7 years ago


Saturday, February 13, 2010

PostHeaderIcon What's Your Worship Diet? - Part 1

Don't be fooled by the title. This post isn't about some fad diet where you worship instead of eat. The term worship diet refers to the totality of the songs you sing as part of your worship experience. I use the phrase to make a case for the importance of a having a balanced worship diet. This is the first of a multi-part series on that all-important topic.

I recoil a bit against the common habit of simplifying worship into two catch-all categories: praise and worship. Well-meaning individuals often use this kind of shorthand to describe songs as either high-energy and exuberant (praise) or slow and intimate (worship). The problem with this overly simplified categorization is that worship is much more complex than this.

Perhaps I overdo it a bit in counter-reaction to this, but I think it is actually healthy, once in a while, to step back and look at our worship from several different perspectives. At my church I actually do this once in a while as I review our “core” song list. If it’s true about food, the old saying “You are what you eat,” then the true is same in worship, “You are what you sing.” At least it’s true in the context of worship songs anyway.

Over the course of the next few posts I’ll be opening up this topic in some detail. I’ll make my case for why it’s important to understand what you sing on whole as a church or group (and in your personal worship time). I’ll be looking to assess the worship diet from the following viewpoints:
  • General Category – I use my own four category model
  • Focus – Does the song focus on God or on our response to him?
  • Voice – Is the song about God or to God?
  • Singular or Corporate – Is it a “we” song or an “I” song?
Obviously there is interaction among these different areas of distinction, but for the sake of clarity and brevity I will consider them one at a time.

Stop by and check in regularly to stay up with the series. To make it easier, consider following this blog, or subscribe via your favorite RSS reader. And please be sure to join the discussion with your comments.

2 comments:

Andrew Means said...

I totally agree with you saying you are what you sing. I once heard that the majority of our theology comes from the songs we sing. Over time I have come to appreciate songs with greater theological depth more and more. I agree we cannot always consume the same theology, style, or whatever over and over again. We are a creative species and must connect with God through a plethora of styles, words, and theological concepts.

Scott said...

Andrew,
Thanks for your thoughts. I think human nature is that we are creatures who gravitate to comfort so we easily get locked into styles and patterns that don't grow us up or challenge us or fascinate us as we were designed for.

Post a Comment

On Earth As in Heaven

Worship and Prayer are two sides of the same coin.

"The four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."
(Revelation 5:8 )

The Harp represents the songs of worship that go on in heaven around the throne of God; day and night it never stops.

The Bowls are full of the prayers of the saints, rising as incense before the throne of God.

It is the harp and the bowl together that give us a picture of the ongoing encounter with God that goes on in heaven.


Let it be on earth as it is in heaven.